It’s Carnival Time

My first big event of the Summer this year was Hertford Carnival, which returned to the town after a 12 year absence.

As well as the traditional procession through the town there were arena events in the grounds of Hertford Castle, a funfair on Hartham Common and a collection of classic cars.

I love photographing Summer festivities – there’s so much going on with so many people enjoying themselves and consequently lots of photo opportunities.

A complete slideshow of photos is available at


There are many effects you can produce in the digital darkroom and one of those often used is cross-processing. This is an effect produced when print film is developed using chemicals for slide film, or vice versa, the result being that subtle shifts occur across the colour curve. This is easily replicated using image editing software.

If you hover your mouse over the photo above you’ll see both the treated and untreated image.

As well as the shift in colour, I’ve also added a vignette and softened the edges of the picture, a characteristic borrowed from Lomo photography.

Hertford Brewery Exhibition

I’ve recently finished work on a project providing material for a small exhibition about the history of Hertford Brewery.

The exhibition forms part of a new Sainsbury’s store in the town,¬†which occupies the site of the former lager building of the brewery,¬†which has been run by the McMullen family since 1827.

The client was Museums & Heritage Consultant Val Bott, who was commissioned by Sainsbury’s to work on the project. My brief was to photograph the modern brewery in operation and supply photos of old advertising posters from the company’s archive.

Photographing the brewery was straightforward, with head brewer Chris Evans’ patient co-operation and assistance setting up shots.

For the archive material I was ably assisted by Val, who removed many of the old posters and advertising materials from their frames so that I could photograph them. I used ambient daylight rather that dedicated lighting equipment, providing a wider diffuse natural lightsource.

In post-production I then used Photoshop to correct lighting levels and sharpen the images using a high pass filter.

A couple of items presented interesting challenges. One large poster was in poor condition physically and had to be photographed on the floor. As I was unable to get directly above the poster due to it’s size, so I photographed it from angle of about 30 degrees, which was later corrected for perspective in Photoshop. Another picture was wedded to it’s frame and had to be photographed in such a way as to minimise distracting reflections in the glazing. Again some post-production editing was necessary.

Overall this was a rewarding assignment that is typical of the work I enjoy. The results will be on display when the store opens later in the month.